Hot off the Press – Cookbooks from Around the Globe

I had to share this list of award winning cookbooks from around the world.  I’d never seen such a broad collection of resources.  All of them were entered into the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards this past year, and they represent their country in the “Best of the World” category.  If you’ve gotten your hands on any of them, let us know what you think.  I have some catching up to do, because the  only two I’ve seen are the cookbook for Noma and The Essential New York Times Cookbook.

Argentina: Siete Fuegos, Mallmann, Kaminky (V-R Editoras)

Australia: Bentley (Murdoch Books)

Austria: Sacher (Styria)

Bangladesh: Sasto Sochaton Ranna, Keka Ferdousi (Anannya)

Belgium: Dix Petits Doights Pleains de Chocolat, Pierre Marcolini (Racine)

Bhutan : Foods of the Kingdom of Bhutan (Bhutan Foundation)

Canada : Glutton for Pleasure, Bob Blumer (Whitecap)

Chile : Gastronomía del Mar (Gourmet Patagonia)

China : Official Health Food, Master Chef Du Guang Bei

Colombia : Secretos de la Parrilla, Bernardo Gómez Cortazar (Gama)

Costa Rica : Saberes y Sabores de Boruca, Leila Garro Valverde (Gama Print)

Czech Republic : Czech Home Cook, Jitka Rakoskikova (Mlada Fronta)

Denmark : Paul Food, Paul Cunningham (Politiker)

Ecuador : Cocina de Autor, Santiago Chamorro (Sesos Creación Visual-Unimarket)

Finland: Olo (Teos)

France:  1 Canard, 2 Daguin (Sud Ouest)

Ghana : Ghanaian Cook Book, Sophia Manu ((Adaex Educational Publication – Accra)

Germany : JW4 (Wissler Group)

Greece : Every Day , Argiro Barbarigou (Liberis)

Hong Kong : Grandma, Grandpa Cook (MCCM Creations)

Hungary : Segal Viktor – Colours and Taste (Book Publishing)

Iceland :Silver of the Sea, Volundar Snaer Volundarsson (Salka)

India : Byriani-Pratibha Karan (Random House India)

Ireland : Catherine’s Italian Kitchen , Catherine Fulvio (Gill McMillan)

Italy : Food Designing, Marti Guixe (Corraini)

Japan : 12 Roads and Stories of the Foods, Chieko Mukasa (Heibonya)

Latvia : Est Ir Tava Daba (Zvaigzne)

Laos : Food from Northern Laos – The Boat Landing Cookbook (Galangal Press)

Luxembourg: Henri Schumacher Pâtissier (Guy Binsfeld)

Lebanon : Mouneh (Barbara Abdeni Massaad)

Malaysia : Kulit Manis, A Taste of Terengganu’s Heritage. Puan Rosita Bt Abdullah (My Viscom)

Malta : Pippa’s Festa, Pippa Mattei (Miranda)

Mexico : Los Top Chefs de Mexico (Larousse)

Morocco : Le Figuier de Barbarie (Alwifak)

Netherlands : Toscanini Venticinqe (Toscanini)

New Zealand : Me’a Kai, Come Eat, Robert Oliver, Dr.Tracy Berno, Shiri Ram (Random House NZ)

Norway : Ekte Mat, Andreas Viestad (Cappelen Damm)

Peru : History, Anecdotes, and Some Recipes from Peruvian Cuisine, Berit Knudsen (Iandu)

Philippines : An Invitation to Malacañan (Art Post Asia)

Poland :Nature of Polish Cuisine – Woicieh Modest Amaro

Portugal : 2780 Taberna (Bertrand)

Russia : Larousse Gastronomique (Chernov)

Singapore : Above and Beyond, Singapore Airlines (Marshall Cavendish)

Slovenia : Ljubezen Skoz Zwloswx (Vale Novak-Gorenjski Tisk)

South Africa : Koekemakranka Khoi-Khoin Kultuurgoed en Kom-Kuier-Kos Renata Coetzee (Lapa)

Spain : Las Cocinas del Camino de Santiago (Al Gusto)

Sweden : Syrat –Sour (Informationsförlaget)

Switzerland : Fusion Pur (Betty Bossi)

Trinidad Tobago : Ah´Len – Welcome (Syrian Lebanese Woman Association)

Turkey: Tadi Damagimda Kaldi, Mehmet Soykan (Food in Le Gastronomy)

UAE: Arabian Dreams, Aaron Maree (Motivate)

Uruguay: Gastronomía de las Costas de Rocha, Juan Antonio Varese  (Cruz del Sur)

UK: Noma, Rene Redzepi (Phaidon)

USA: The Essential New York Times Cookbook, Amanda Hesser (WWW Norton)

Venezuela: Las Recetas Olvidadas, Gamal El Fakih Rodríguez (Speedread)

…and if after all these suggestions you cannot find something to make, do not blame me!

34 comments for “Hot off the Press – Cookbooks from Around the Globe

1. December 16, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Takes my breath away. So many scrumptious meals. So little time.
    Claudia recently posted..An Italian Feast for Father Winter

2. December 16, 2010 at 8:57 AM

I haven’t seen most of these cookbooks yet. But then again, I haven’t had much time to go out and checkout the cookbook section. I would love to get my hands on Peru, Laos and Bhutan since I’m interested in “obscure” cuisines.

I haven’t checked out the one from the Philippines yet. The author is enough to make me not want to do so. But then again, “never judge a book by its author,” right?

KM
    The Kitchen Masochist recently posted..Loomi Luvin

3. December 16, 2010 at 11:10 AM

What an interesting list! I have Mallmann’s Seven Fires, and it’s a great book. Clearly, I have a lot more reading to do!
    lisaiscooking recently posted..Lucinda Scala Quinn- What Are You Reading

4. December 16, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Wow, a pretty cool list of cookbooks from all different countries, excellent!

5. December 16, 2010 at 3:02 PM

What a cool list from so many places. I also thoroughly enjoyed the photographs of various places. :)
    Emily Z recently posted..Lasagna with Ground Beef and Ricotta

6. December 16, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Louann, that is quite the list of cookbooks. While I have managed to buy cookbooks in four countries this year, none of them made this roster.

I do have to say that the Canadian title is rather odd among so many distinguished books. Bob Blumer is a food “personality”, the same way Rachel Ray is – on TV – though he is far more creative in his cooking than she. There have been some excellent and more substantial titles in this country in 2010….

Thanks,

Dan
    IslandEAT recently posted..Chocolate-Pecan “Turtles” and Salted Caramels- National Chocolate Covered Anything Day

December 16, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Claudia, I am with you. Need to find a way to add some hours back in the day.

KM – I’m with you and very interested in the obscure cuisines. I’ll take your word on the author, any good ones you can recommend? My last Filipino book is Memories of a Philippine Kitchen by Besa and Dorotan. I’ve loved everything I’ve tried.

Lisa – Somehow I thought you would like this list 😉 I agree that Seven Fires book is really remarkable, I only wish I had a grill and did not live in an apartment, so I could really explore.

5 Star – I couldn’t help but share.

Emily Z – I thank you for saying you like my photos =)

IslandEAT – I think these sorts of contests are probably pretty biased and may not reflect everything out there, but as a starting point, you could ask for worse. I’d love to hear your Canadian recommendations. I also thought it was a bit funny that the UK submittal was for Noma, a restaurant in another country. But that’s just me.

8. December 16, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Oh wow! This is so cool! I’ve always been fascinated by international cookbooks. My school library used to have an old old, OLD collection of cookbooks from around the world, and I never got tired of perusing them.

9. December 16, 2010 at 8:52 PM

This is an intriguing list. I personally would love to see the one from Japan, and I think it is interesting the that one from Singapore mentions Singapore Airlines. The pictures you integrated into the post are beautiful.
    Christine @ Fresh Local and Best recently posted..Dark Chocolate Almond Biscotti and a Baby Update

10. December 16, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Los Tops Chefs de Mexico, hmmm I see that in my amazon basket soon, thanks for a great list!!

sweetlife recently posted..Avocado Pomegranate Tostadas

11. December 17, 2010 at 7:39 PM

I had heard about Mouneh the latest book by Barbara Massaad; I can’t wait to read it. All the other I am unfamiliar with. Very interesting list, thanks!
    tasteofbeirut recently posted..Pumpkin Kibbeh pie Kibbeh laqteen

12. December 18, 2010 at 2:32 AM

I don’t know any of those cookbooks…maybe I should add them to my wish list and give it to my parents-in-law…so they wouldn’t have any problem any more to find a present for me.
    Angie’s Recipes recently posted..Beetroot Risotto

13. December 18, 2010 at 3:48 AM

What an incredible list! Some of them sound really different such as the Chinese Official health foods! They really tease your imagination! Good thing my birthday is in January, will just print your list out and hand it round as my birthday wish list!! Brilliant, many thanks!
    ruth recently posted..Foodie Experience2 Italian Breakfasts-Nutella and a Chocolatey Heaven Guest Post

14. December 18, 2010 at 10:55 AM

i know the french one but not sure this is the best !!anyway very good idea
    here it snows like hell here in paris
    pierre
    PIERRE recently posted..Crème de châtaignes aux épices douces et pépite de foie gras

15. December 18, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Great list! Wouldn’t it be fun to start an “Around the World Cookbook Club!”
    Andrea@WellnessNotes recently posted..Easy Dinner and Awesome- Almondy Breakfast

16. December 18, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Wow, what a list! Thanks for sharing it. I have to say, I couldn’t help but smile at the Hong Kong one: “Grandma, Grandpa Cook.” With a title like that, you know it’s got to be wonderful.
    Carolyn Jung recently posted..Take Five with Yigit Pura- On His Sweet Victory on “Top Chef Just Desserts”

December 18, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Sophia – I’m with you there’s something fascinating about those old books

Christine – I did find it interesting that it was an airline cookbook, perhaps even ironic =)

Sweetlife – My pleasure!

Beirut – I’ll have to check that book out, if it caught your eye that’s a good sign for me.

Angie – That’s a good way to ensure a steady stream of inspiration

Ruth – My pleasure hope you get a few to enjoy,

Pierre – I have a lot of sympathy for you my friend but I cannot help but think Paris is beautiful in the snow

Andrea – Wonderful idea.

Carolyn – Couldn’t agree more!

18. December 19, 2010 at 8:47 AM

What a great list…..I scanned down quickly to the ‘N’s, seeking a Nigeria entry, alas, not to be so. I am looking forward to changing all that in the coming decade. Have a blessed holiday season!
    Kitchen Butterfly recently posted..How to make Pithiviers

19. December 20, 2010 at 3:10 PM

The cookbook from singapore airlines? Hahha…how to cook airline food? Curious. 😉

20. December 20, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Ha, I only recognize one! You are better than I am!
    Kitchen M recently posted..Crazy Nuts

21. December 22, 2010 at 9:18 PM

I bought a copy of Ah’len haven’t had time yet to cook anything from it. Just want to wish you a blessed Christmas.

22. December 22, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Wow, what a nice list of cookbooks…so neat :-)

23. December 23, 2010 at 6:18 AM

Thank you for making my book list twice as long! :) I’m so glad you shared this, although it makes me feel that I lack culture completely. Ha, ha! I have none of them, but that will change! I love picking up cookbooks when I travel, it is my new hobby. I just got a great one while in Jamaica so I can perfect my Caribbean cooking.
    Lori recently posted..Smoky Turkey and Kale Soup

24. December 23, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Clearly I do not read enough! GREG

25. December 23, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Thank you for sharing this list. I need another cookbook like a need a hole in the head, but…
    Lynn recently posted..Carrot-Apple-Ginger Soup

26. December 26, 2010 at 1:06 PM

happy season holidays !!Pierre
    pierre recently posted..Soufflé brûlant Passion- sucette glacée Fruits rouges

27. December 28, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Other people read novels at night in bed, but I read cookbooks. I adore them and now I have a whole lot more to look forward to!
    Crystal recently posted..A belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

December 29, 2010 at 8:56 PM

KB – Maybe you need to be the cookbook author for Nigeria? I’d definitely line up to buy your book.

Tigerfish – Thats what I thought, they need to list yours as well.

Kitchen M – Only because I’ve been obsessing lately.

Wizzy – Back at you. I wish you a wonderful blessed time with loved one.

Juliana – If you get the urge to splurge don’t blame me =)

Lori – Believe me I feel the same way, and really what’s not to love about cookbooks as souvenirs?

Sippity – Oh, I think we’re doing fine, but who’s to say we cannot stretch our wings?

Lynn – I know the feeling.

Pierre – and the same to you my friend!

Crystal – Me too! My hubby thinks I’m daft.

29. December 30, 2010 at 7:57 AM

“Memories…” is a beautiful book BUT a lot of the recipes aren’t authentic. I suppose the authors were clearly had the mainstream American public in mind when they put the book together and Westernized quite a bit of the recipes.

I have to admit that I only own 2 cookbooks on PH cuisine. And they’re not the coffee table kind either. They’re cheap with crappy photos and printed on recycled paper. And they’re definitely intended for the local market so the recipes are quite authentic. The Besa-Dorotan book is unaffordable for most people here and it’s clearly not intended for the local market. I don’t buy too much cookbooks on PH cuisine because I just rely on my friends to teach me.
    The Kitchen Masochist recently posted..Local Christmas Traditions

30. December 30, 2010 at 4:20 PM

What a list! Strange that the swiss Betty bossi got an award… I am not a big fan of their stuff.

31. January 3, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Of course I have the Irish entry, Catherine’s Italian Kitchen (and blogged about it a bit here: http://www.thedailyspud.com/2010/09/05/potato-tomato-bake-italian/) and have met the author too. She’s on a mission to educate Irish people in the ways of Italian cooking!
    Daily Spud recently posted..Spud Sunday- The Year In Spuds

January 9, 2011 at 9:54 PM

KM – Sometimes cheap is best. Just read about a Thai chef that gets a lot of his recipes out of funeral dinner booklets, and I think you can get a lot of “local” recipes from church and neighborhood cookbooks.

Rosa – What would be your nomination for the Swiss award then?

Spud – Trust you to be ahead of the game here.